As a large-footprint and resource-intensive industry, the extractive sectors are a priority for business engagement. Engaging with sectors such as oil and gas, mining, and building materials is central to IUCN’s work to promote a green economy and sustainable development.
IUCN’s Business and Biodiversity Programme aims at:
- Supporting the integration of biodiversity risk management measures in the business operations of a building material company
- Establishing a no net loss/net positive impact verification protocol
- Supporting stakeholders’ participation in the revision of oil and gas company remediation guidelines in the Niger delta
- Supporting the development of the Aluminium Stewardship Initiative to develop a sustainability standard for the production of aluminium
- Towards a more effective implementation of the world Heritage Convention