IUCN's support to the IPBES process
IUCN recognizes the need to strengthen the science-policy interface on biodiversity and ecosystem services, and therefore strongly supports ongoing discussions related to IPBES.
2009 - 2010
In 2009 - 2010, IUCN mainly worked to ensure that multi-stakeholder perspectives are voiced in the inter-governmental discussions about the establishment of IPBES. IUCN, supported by the French Government, the Swiss Government and UNEP, collaborated with its partners to ensure that IPBES considered the perspectives of the scientific community and civil society. Additionally, IUCN continued to raise awareness within these communities on IPBES potential functions, form, and opportunities to engage in the future.
IUCN used numerous opportunities to encourage stakeholder participation in the discussions, by:
- Encouraging and supporting participation of IUCN Members at regional consultations on IPBES;
- Raising awareness at the CBD SBSTTA , WGRI meetings and COP10 conference;
- Involving the private sector in the IPBES process in collaboration with WBCSD ;
- Assessing the value-add of IUCN and civil society participation in the governance of IPBES;
- Ensuring civil society perspectives were considered at the 3rd IPBES meeting.
2011 - 2012
In 2011 - 2012, launching period of IPBES, IUCN can play a critically important role to ensure that IPBES will take in the perspectives of civil society. Furthermore, IUCN will act to raise awareness within civil society of the need of IPBES and of the benefits of cooperation with IPBES – so that all stakeholders can take full advantage of its work.
- Engage the multi-stakeholder community in the development and implementation of IPBES;
- Support the ongoing negotiations during the IPBES development;
- Encourage IUCN, Members, Commissions and partners participation in the implementation and future work of IPBES.
IUCN contribution to the 2nd Plenary Session to Build IPBES
16-21 April 2012, Panama City, Panama
Click here to read the IUCN Position Paper and a number of other documents prepared for this meeting.
Side event, proposed jointly by IUCN, GBIF and UNEP WCMC to illustrate how existing initiatives can help support IPBES - 18 April 2012.
Second IPBES Stakeholders' Day, hosted by UNEP prior to the plenary meeting and co-facilitated by IUCN and ICSU - 15 April 2012.
IUCN support and contribution to the intersessional work ahead of the Second Plenary Session to Build IPBES
October 2011 - April 2012
Click here to find out more
IUCN contribution to the 1st Plenary Session to Build IPBES
3 -7 October 2011, Nairobi, Kenya
Click here to find out more
IUCN support to the discussions on IPBES at the CBD COP 10
18-29 October 2010, Nagoya, Japan
- The IUCN's Information paper on the agreed Intergovernmental Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES) provides background information on the IPBES process so far and highlights some key issues regarding the impacts of the establishment of IPBES for civil society.
- 21 October 2010: Side event on IPBES, hosted by the Ministry of Environment of Japan, DIVERSITAS, IHDP, ICSU and IUCN. This event provided an update on the IPBES decisions, the next steps in the IPBES process, and considered some of the possible implications of IPBES for the scientific and policy communities addressing biodiversity and ecosystem services – in the context of the CBD and beyond.
IUCN at the 3rd Intergovernmental and Multi-Stakeholder Meeting on IPBES
7-11 June 2010, Busan, Republic of Korea
IUCN statement during the Opening of the 3rd IPBES Meeting can be accessed here.
To support the 3rd Meeting on IPBES:
- IUCN developed and disseminated its Position Paper, which lays out IUCN’s vision for the function and form of IPBES that would deliver the most effective and improved science-policy interface:
IUCN's Vision for IPBES
Vision de l'UICN pour l'IPBES
La visión de la UICN para PIDBSE
- The working document prepared for the meeting proposed possible options on the forms and functions of IPBES. IUCN document on preferred options lays out the options for an efficient and cost-effective multistakeholder platform.
- Other IUCN documents prepared for the meeting include:
IUCN potential contributions to IPBES
Assessement of multi-stakeholder involvement in IPBES governance
WBCSD-IUCN statement on business involvement in IPBES
- IUCN supported the engagement of civil society in the meeting.
IUCN support to the preparation of the 3rd Intergovernmental and Multistakeholder Meeting on IPBES
To support the preparation of the 3rd Meeting on IPBES, IUCN:
- Engaged civil society in Regional Consultations, in particular through the co-organization of the North America consultation.
- Raised awareness on IPBES at the CBD SBSTTA meeting, 10-21 May 2010, Nairobi Kenya: A side event on IPBES was co-organized by Diversitas, ICSU, IHDP and IUCN on 14 May 2010. Find the full programme here.
- Assessed the value of civil society in IPBES governance. Click here to access the report.
IUCN support to the 2nd Intergovernmental and Multi-stakeholder Meeting on IPBES
5-9 October 2009, Nairobi, Kenya
IUCN actively participated in the development of the gap analysis and have facilitated the submission of comments by our membership and broader civil society. IUCN, in collaboration with ICSU and DIVERSITAS, organized consultations with the scientific community and civil society on the need for, and possible functions and form of IPBES, including the role of civil society and scientific community in its governance. The results of this consultation informed the second intergovernmental and multi-stakeholder meeting on IPBES on 5-9 October 2009 in Nairobi.