Business has much to offer IPBES. The types of specific activities through which business could participate in IPBES implementation include, for example:
- sharing their experiences with BES-related methodologies and assisting in the development of new methodologies and tools (e.g. for impact monitoring, performance monitoring, biodiversity assessment, ES valuation, BES reporting);
- sharing their BES-related data as part of IPBES efforts to increase access to BES information;
- contributing to the delivery of capacity-building and technology transfer efforts, not only on technical issues related to BES research (such as the use of GIS or other IT tools) but also other areas such as research management and administration and business skills;
- assisting in scoping the assessments so that they incorporate useful outputs for business, such as clear standards for ES valuation, guidelines adapted to businesses, business scenarios, on the model of TEEB for Business;
- advising on the development of BES-related policies and regulations aimed at the business sector, to help ensure these are appropriate and effective;
- financing BES research which will feed ultimately into IPBES reports and activities.
IPBES statutes also welcome financial and other direct contributions to the Platform.