The Data Review Working Group will:
- Monitor the quality of data entered into the AED.
- Make strategic decisions concerning the management and all technical aspects of the AED.
- Approve a month-by month work programme for the AED manager and review progress.
- Oversee the production of the AED reports and publications, including African Elephant Status Reports. These will be of two types: (a) factual reports showing maps, graphs, and tables with no interpretation; (b) interpretation and analysis of data from the AED. In the latter case, the Working Group will ensure a balance between views from different African regions and Range States.
- Ensure that the AED is accountable to the members of the AfESG and to any data contributors.
- The Working Group, on behalf of the AfESG and any other data contributors, will be responsible for approval or rejection of each request for use of any digital AED data within the framework of the AfESG’s Data Access and Release Policy.
Membership of the Data Review Working Group: Chris Thouless (Chair), Julian Blanc, Colin Craig, Iain Douglas-Hamilton, Holly Dublin, John Hart, and Howard Frederick.