This guide has been put together to help delegates make environmentally-smart decisions at different stages of their trip to and stay in Barcelona. It is part of the IUCN’s effort to practice what it preaches at this year’s event on sustainability and conservation. The guide will hopefully get you thinking about how you can combine your own plans and interests with more sustainable forms of travel. My guide to a Sustainable Congress
Our aim is to minimize and compensate the direct and indirect impacts relating to all aspects of the congress and leave a positive legacy. We endeavour to minimize the consumption of natural resources and the production of waste related to all phases in the lead up to, during and after the Congress.
We will foster actions that avoid harm to biodiversity and human health, minimize our impact from CO2 emissions, and contribute to the sustainable development of the local economy.
Read the Environmental Framework for the Congress to learn more.
What we’re doing
The IUCN Secretariat intends to minimize paper consumption before, during and after the Congress for example by sending all Congress information electronically where possible.
IUCN will offset all CO2 emissions related to travel to and participation in the Congress by staff and sponsored delegates. Voluntary contributions for participants willing to offset their Congress-related emissions will go towards the Barcelona Carbon Offset Fund. We encourage all staff based in Western Europe to travel to the Congress by train or coach. We are also trying to secure a maximum number of hotels within walking distance, or with good public transport connections to, the Congress Centre.
IUCN wants to engage all Congress contributors to adopt an environmentally-sensitive and coherent approach. We are working with the Congress Centre to set up a proper recycling system, to use sustainable products for various projects and to minimize energy and water consumption on-site. We will encourage our suppliers and contractors to adopt the highest possible sustainability standards.
- Choosing the least polluting means of travel to Barcelona (train, boat or bus if travelling within Spain or Western Europe);
- Using public transport for commuting between the Congress venue and hotels/accommodation;
- Reduce the chances of bringing or taking invasive species to or from the Congress that might bring problems to biodiversity or peoples' livelihoods
- Minimizing energy and water consumption on-site;
- Minimizing the use of paper and the production of waste during the Congress;
- Helping us to reduce the amount of paper used by accepting to receive all Congress related information electronically when registering;
- Handing out information on how to find your key publications and brochures electronically instead of bringing hard copies to the Congress (there will be no space for storage and display at the Congress Center);
- Bringing only documents that are printed double-sided on Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified paper or on recycled paper. A list of FSC-certified printers in Barcelona can be downloaded here; and
- Offsetting greenhouse gas emissions resulting from travel to/from Barcelona and participation in the Congress by contributing to the voluntary carbon offset scheme through the Congress registration process.
Check out "My Guide to a Sustainable Congress" to learn more about what you can do.