Knowledge management is broadly understood to be the set of practices and systems used to organize data, information products and expertise to advance IUCN’s mission. This includes practices ranging from traditional knowledge systems to networked computer information technologies, as well as systems that fall somewhere in between.
The key objectives for the specialty group are as follows:
- Organize existing knowledge management experts within the CEC to contribute to the specialty group’s advisory role;
- Expand the Knowledge Management Specialty Group to assure it is representative of all IUCN regions.
- Communicate with CEC members who have identified themselves as having personal expertise or interest in knowledge management, soliciting input, advice, and volunteer time for the Specialty Group’s activities
- Via existing CEC membership, identify conservation-focused knowledge management experts who are not yet members of CEC, and invite them to join the Commission, with a goal of representation across all regions
- Provide focused advising on knowledge management policy and procedures to the IUCN Head, Science and Learning, drawing on the expertise of specialty group members
Solicit the input of Specialty Group members and the CEC membership as a whole on current knowledge management-related efforts of the CEC and IUCN, including the following:
- CEC website development
- CEC institutional research, including surveys and other data-collection opportunities
- Implementation of the IUCN Commission portal system by the CEC Steering Committee members, Specialty Group Leaders and Special Advisers
- Identification of knowledge management systems in active use by IUCN Secretariat and Commissions
- Identification of knowledge management needs of the CEC membership in each region, the IUCN secretariat and commissions, articulated in the words of the end users
- Implementation of an online clearinghouse for educational resources, to be used by IUCN CEC’s World Conservation Institute and World Conservation Learning Network