IUCN Regional Councillor
JJ Media (Pvt) Ltd.
Welcome to CEC in West Asia and the Middle East
CEC Regional Vice-Chair
View from Pakistan by CEC Regional Vice-Chair
“The enormity of the disaster which affects millions of people should be a test even for well-established governance and disaster management systems,” writes Javed Jabbar, IUCN CEC Regional Vice-Chair for West Asia and the Middle East.
A note from the Vice-Chair
As Regional Vice Chair for West Asia, my work in the new few months of 2010 will be to:
- Complete the process of consulting with all Pakistan-based CEC members on the way forward, a process initiated only partially in 2009 but expanded to cover all Islamabad-based members on 3rd April 2010;
- Initiate and complete the process of consulting with all other CEC members in West Asia, including briefing them on the conclusions at the CEC Steering Committee Meeting in Aviemore;
- Identify National Activators and obtain the Chair's approval/appointment of the same;
- Set targets for modest, relevant expansion of CEC membership in the region;
- Encourage members to determine their respective inputs for both pre-Congress 2010 processes and Congress 2010 events;
- Request/hope for, each National Activator to formulate broad action plans for next 24 months;
- Seek funding support for West Asian CEC work, while attempting to dove-tail CEC meetings/work with a planned Regional Conservation Forum set for Kuwait late 2010.