Achieving Target 3: Technical support for implementing the 30x30 target
This event will bring together the most ambitious Parties, organisations and leading scientists in a global partnership to support adoption of Target 3 in the CBD GBF, and showcase new, existing, and upcoming technical guidance that will help Parties to contribute to this critical global target, as well as examples of implementation in action.
Photo: IUCN / Elena Osipova
The High Ambition Coalition for Nature & People (HAC N&P) and the Global Ocean Alliance (GOA), in partnership with The Nature Conservancy (TNC), The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) and the IUCN World Commission on Protected Areas (WCPA), and other government and non-state actor partners, will hold a side event focusing on technical guidance for implementation of Target 3 of the CBD GBF (the “30x30” target). Between the HAC N&P & the GOA, over 100 countries and counting have pledged to support the 30x30 target at CBD COP15, and over 120 countries support 30x30 for the ocean. These coalitions are calling for at least 30% of land and of the ocean to be protected globally, to ensure well-connected systems of equitably governed and effectively managed protected areas (PAs) and other effective area-based conservation measures (OECMs). Looking beyond COP15, the HAC N&P, the GOA, and our partners, are also committed to the successful implementation of this ambitious target by 2030. As a key example of this, the HAC N&P, during the United Nations General Assembly in September 2022, officially announced that it will start a new phase (“HAC 2.0”) after CBD COP15, in which the coalition will fully focus on the implementation of the 30x30 target.
- Highlight the importance of the 30x30 target/Target 3, as the minimum level of protection needed to help halt and reverse biodiversity loss by 2030.
- Demonstrate the level of support for this target, which includes over 120 countries who are supporting 30x30 through the HAC N&P and the GOA.
- Support knowledge sharing and capacity building by raising awareness of new, existing and upcoming technical guidance and indicator development to support Parties in their implementation of this target, as well as showcasing examples of implementation in action.
- Promote progress within the negotiations on the draft Target 3 by highlighting the support available to implement an ambitious area-based protection target, taking into account both PAs and OECMs.
- Highlight and enhance successful partnerships between CBD Parties, non-state organisations, Indigenous Peoples, local communities, and other partners, in the pursuit of implementing 30x30.