Call for Nominations/Expressions of Interest for Regional Vice Chair(s) for CEESP in West Asia
The Chairs of CEESP seek nominations/expressions of interest for the position of Regional Vice Chair in West Asia. Candidates for the Regional Vice Chair(s) should preferably be familiar with both CEESP and the West Asia region, and be committed to working cross-sectorally across different disciplines.
Regional Vice Chair(s) provide leadership and guide the development and implementation of CEESP’s work within their region. They also promote the establishment of regionally based specialist groups, facilitate membership growth and foster initiatives for training and capacity building in the region.
Nominations should be submitted to Iben Munck at firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 August 2017, and should include a cover letter and a curriculum vitae. Self-nominations, and nominations of other people, are both permitted, but nominations of others should include a statement as to whether the person in question has agreed to serve if appointed. The intention is to appoint the Regional Vice Chair for West Asia by September 15, 2017.
The Regional Vice Chair is responsible for:
- Acquainting themselves with the CEESP Mandate (2016–2020);
- Collaborating with regional members on priorities and needs
- Engage with IUCN National and Regional IUCN Committees
- Developing and implementing priority activities for the region in association with CEESP Themes and Knowledge Baskets based on the over-arching framework of the Strategic Plan, where necessary with the support of the CEESP Steering Committee;
- Acting in support of IUCN and CEESP policies and procedures (e.g., policies on publications, communications, and gender) and consulting with the IUCN staff and the CEESP Chair for guidance on such matters when necessary;
- Familiarizing themselves with formal IUCN and CEESP statements and policy documents (guidelines and position papers);
- Where appropriate, establish work plans at the regional level to guide activities for the duration of the quadrennium, including action planning, communication, membership, and policy;
- Increase membership in the region.
- Engage with the other Regional Vice Chairs, to share information and experience within the Regions.
- Develop mechanisms of engagement with members to keep them pro-actively involved
- Attend Regional Conservation Forums between IUCN World Conservation Congresses (WCC), to understand and address regional issues.
- Provide input from the membership in the region into the post WCC, and future WCC planning process.
While developing the full work programme of the Region, it will be the responsibility of the appointed Vice Chair(s) to contribute:
- technical information for IUCN and/or CEESP contributions to international conventions (e.g. World Heritage, UNCBD, UNFCCC, UNCCD etc.); requested contributions may be in the form of comments on listing proposals, resolutions or other substantive issues;
- technical information for the development of national, regional or global assessments,
- expert knowledge of the topics within their regional themes/remits to contribute to CEESP’s wider work with regard to knowledge governance, rights and equity.
- contribute to the CEESP Reports for Council Meetings.
The Regional activities should utlimate contribute to supporting the CEESP Mandate and contribute to the implementation CEESP Strategic Plan for 2016-2020
All appointments as CEESP Thematic Chairs, Regional Vice Chairs, Specialist Groups Chairs and Taskforce leads are subject the BYLAWS of the IUCN Commission on Environment, Economic and Social Policy