Membership benefits and possible areas of collaboration
- Sharing of experiences, challenges and best practices in MPA development, management, and enforcement to leverage our shared knowledge.
- Building consistent and strong messages on the importance and benefits of effectively managed MPAs
- Enhancing the ability of each agency to meet its domestic and/or international MPA mandates and commitments, and contribute to marine conservation on a global scale.
- Identifying new opportunities to influence ocean management and create innovative approaches and results-based tools to help protect marine resources.
Possible areas for collaboration
- Collaboration and information sharing on management approaches to common threats like climate impacts, ocean acidification, invasive species, coral disease, ship strikes, or fishing impacts
- Sharing approaches to the application of technology to MPA management
- Sharing of best practices for tracking the emergence of new pressures and mitigation efforts
- Sharing of scientific information
- Promoting the development of MPA networks
- Developing common messages regarding benefits of MPAs and management approaches
- Sharing approaches to working with indigenous peoples